View Single Post
(#11 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-18-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protheus View Post
I'm sorry for disturbing again, I am a bit confused about something. The 2 forms of writting (katakana, hiragana), can be or are they used in general in the same "sentence"?
Yes, and there are more than 2 types of writing. There's the two "kana" you mentioned, plus kanji. And then Japanese uses arabic numerals (0-9) sometimes, too. Hiragana and katakana are phonetic. Kanji is not. And then there's romaji, which means two things: (1) a system of writing Japanese using the roman alphabet; and (2) a group of characters used for certain things in Japan. For example, my name in Japanese, if you only use my first initial, would be Kゲッツ.

Here's a sample sentence using all three that you're not familiar with already as a Romanian speaker:
アメリカに英語が話せる人がいます。
アメリカ is katakana, 英語、話、人 are kanji, and に、が、せる、がいます are hiragana.
The sentence means "There are people in America who can speak English."

I suggest you read the Romanian wikipedia article on the Japanese writing system, since you apparently thought there are only two groups of graphs used in Japanese: Scrierea japoneză - Wikipedia

I can read enough Romanian to know the article explains hiragana, katakana, kanji, and romaji.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 10-18-2010 at 05:07 PM.