Thread: Nobuo Uematsu
View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-07-2010, 01:56 AM

This is a cool thread. I used to love all those games when I was younger. I too loved a lot of video game music that I heard back then. There are a lot of games that have music that is on par with Nobuo Uematsu's work in Final Fantasy, but he seems to have the most information filmed/written about him.

I have some questions that I wanna ask some of the more hardcore fans out there...

1. Does anyone remember a video of him in his like office/studio where he was interviewed? He was using a computer and a keyboard and what looked like an m-audio interface (I remember it looked like my Firewire 410 that I had at the time I watched it). I'd love to see that video again. I've been looking for it but haven't come across it. I saw this video before the days of youtube, so it could be on some old fan-site or something. I've done lots of searching with no avail though.

2. Does anyone know the kinds of programs and hardware he used? I'm especially curious about the Super Nintendo/Playstation days. I'm guessing he had some kind of midi sound generator and sampled it for the SNES... for the playstation I know he used hardware sound for FFVII, but I don't know about VIII and IX.

As far as his music goes, I like a lot of it, but FFVII was the turning point for me. It's so moody... it really captures a lot of emotions and makes that game what it is. I especially love some of the early themes in the game and Tifa's theme and Arith's theme. I like most of them to be honest. I also really enjoy FFV's opening as well.

Back in the day (SNES era) I used to like his music a lot, but I seemed to enjoy the Mana series and games like Chrono Trigger a little more music wise. I also really liked Earthbound's music. Again though, FFVII blew everything away when it came out. (Although Earthbound still has some of the coolest music).

He seems like a really cool guy though. If I ever get the chance to meet him I'd love to talk to him about all of his experience.