View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-11-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
I have a feeling that they are meant to be names, quite possibly for fictional characters that the OP (or her friends) came up with for a story or something. Or for characters in a game.

I could be wrong though, but I'll give a shot.

Water Wolf : 水狼(すいろう), Suirou
Note: 水の狼(みずのおおかみ), Mizu no Ookami is also possible, 'though this one sounds a bit weird.

Mysterious Tiger : 謎の虎(トラ), Nazo no Tora

Sensitive Artist : 敏感(びんがん)な美術家(びじゅつか), Binkan na Bijutsuka

Water Heart : 水の心(みずのこころ), Mizu no Kokoro
Note: 水心 (Suishin) means something else (middle of a body of water.) instead. It can also be read as Mizugokoro, in which case it means "ability to swim". The "Mizugokoro" reading also occurs in the proverb "魚心あれば水心" (Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.)

Summer Star : 夏星(きらり、かせい、なつぼし), Kirari/Kasei/Natsuboshi
Note: Kirari and Kasei are both actual female names with the kanji meaning "Summer Star", while Natsuboshi would refer to an actual star(s) instead.

Wild Spirit
自生の魂(じせいのたましい), Jisei no Tamashii 
野生の気力(やせいのきりょく), Yasei no Kiryoku

自生 means "wild" as in "natural", like "wild roses", while 野生 means "wild" as in "animalistic", like "wild tiger", or "crazy wild men".

Hey just a couple of questions, how common would it be to use rou for wolf when in a compound such as suiroi, and am I right in thinking that ookami isn't used half as much as the fans who spam the word seem to think and that katakana ウルフ is much more commonly accepted now?
Also is ther any reason you wouldn't use な in place of の for the above, I guess it is like tiger of mystery right?

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.