View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-12-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandatothemax View Post
Thanks! My teacher isn't the best at clarifying things so I've found that it's a lot more helpful to talk to a native English speaker who is fluent or really well-studied in Japanese because they understand what I'm asking much more easily! If you could explain how #7 should be formed I would really appreciate it! My teacher doesn't really give thorough help on an assignment before it's due and since I know it's wrong already it would be awesome if I could understand it before I turn it in! Thanks again for actually reading my post and helping!
I'm not going to give you that exact sentence, but I'll try and show you how to form a similar one so you can try for yourself. Please bear in mind I'm not fluent though.

"On Monday I met my sister at the train station."

The basic constituents are the time, the place, who, and the action, which are respectively, monday, the train station, my sister (and I) and met. You can pretty much swap these around as need be. Let's translate those basic words first:

月曜日 げつようび
駅 えき
姉 あね
合う あう (あいました)

To say 'on monday' of course, we need the particle に: げつようび
To say 'at the train station', we need the partlcle で: えき
Unlike in the English, we don't really need to emphasis my involvement- it's already obvious, so we'll drop the 私は(わたしは)for now.
which leaves the tricky bit : あね. It could be に or it could be と、depending on the nuance.

So we could have: げつようびにえきであねとあいました。
or equally,
げつようびにあねとえきであいました
both of which imply a sense of 'togetherness', or mutuality. My sister had expected to meet me and I had expected to meet her. It also suggests we kind of hung about together a bit. Lit: "met with older sister"

Compare with:
げつようびにえきであねにあいました
it's the same thing; I met my sister at the train station on Monday, but the nuance is different- in this case, one party came into contact with the other. E.G. I may have expected to see her, but it's also ~possible~ it was by chance or she hadn't expected to see me. It has slightly less of the 'hung about a bit' nuance too- perhaps we just bumped into each other, said hi and dashed off our separate ways. Lit: "met to older sister"