View Single Post
(#19 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿à

12-16-2010, 04:41 AM

@ ouji88len
Glad you liked them, sorry if the topic is getting a little carried away ;p Speaking of the OEL manga-influenced comics outside Japan. I actually know of a few American artists who've published their work in Japan. Have you evey heard of Priscilla Hamby AKA Rem

Or Felipe Smith?

Both have published work in Japan. So yeah, there is an industry outside Japan. I notice that webcomics are becoming quite popular, Ms, Shatia Hamilton's "Fungus Grotto" is up on the web yet the published books are selling pretty well. HamletMachine's "Star Fighter" has soldout like 5 times just this month on AkaDot. Also Tessa Stone's "Hanna is Not a Boy's Name" comic is really popular though it's only availible on the web, but if it got published I imagine it'd make pretty good money.

Well, I'll leave you with some pretty art! (Sorry for the all the pics)
Fungus Grotto

StarFigher

And HiNaBN

You'll see that a lot of popular OEL manga does have a lot of Western influence, which I think is awesome. Cultivated hybrid art, not just a cheap copy Rumiko Takahashi's artstyle. Gotta love it Can you tell I'm really into this stuff? XD You might wanna take a look at "Mangaka America", although some of the featured artists in there are those dreaded imitator kind, some of the others are very good.

Last edited by StonerPenguin : 12-16-2010 at 04:46 AM.