View Single Post
(#112 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-19-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
This is totally brilliant. I am finishing writing my book about calligraphy, which is a mix of poetry, philosophical essay, history and autobiography, and I would love to use this comparison.
By all means, go right ahead. *amused*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
reading the sea metaphor i think you have enough of soul or perhaps more, the thing we both need is time to fill it all up with experience. You know, my teacher is 72, and once we set and talked about works of some older masters. He said "I am too young to write like that, but in 10 years I should be able to". First I thought that it was hilarious, as he is studying calligraphy for 60+ years. Then I realized that I cannot write the way I wrote last year as well as the way i will be writing next year. It makes calligraphy or sumi-e even more unique. Technique is something we gain with practice, and style fullness is something we are offered when we worthy. It grows together with purity of our soul which cannot be "trained".
Ah, I never thought of that. They say that writing is a profession that never retires, it simply matures- I suppose that applies to all creative activities. A lot of people seem to think that nurturing your soul is some vague intangible endeavor, or something reeking of mysticism or religion. But really, isn't it just natural to want to improve yourself even a little. I enjoy seeing how my works change over time; it really highlights how my experiences in life have altered me.