View Single Post
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Actually the town was Nuneaton, where George Eliot was born and lived. Problem is you say Nuneaton and no one outside of the midlands has heard of it, lol. I've never actually been to Solihull, but I have heard of it, and to be fair from what I've heard it's probably a lot more dead than here, so I should be grateful really XD
I've heard of Nuneaton, but I didn't know it's where George Eliot was born or that it was around that area. XD

Quote:
Ah, I'm too lazy for google maps, but I'm guessing south Wales isn't Barmouth or Snowdonia area? If not then it's probably why I have such an idyllic image of Wales as nothing but mountains, sheep and 'the locals', I don't think I've ever been south or to the cities.
Not sure about Barmouth, never heard of it XD
But nope, Snowdonia and all around there are North, where the most Welsh speakers in the whole of Wales are. With all the cities and towns down here I'd guess that it's a lot more idyllic!

Quote:
I totally agree, it's no wonder that the high-street can't compete with the online trade. I know that they have to pay rent, staff etc. but there's no need for prices to be as high as they are. Have you compared the prices to American prices too? I wanted a Wii game once, from America it was £20 so I brought it then and there, because otherwise I'd have had to wait six months to buy it at £40! It's outrageously unfair!
Exactly. And the way I look at it, staff still need to be hired for the warehouses, drivers etc so there's really no reason for them to be that different!
Surprisingly I've never really checked American prices for things, usually because I'm not really equipped with multi region technology or console chips. I really want to know how though because I've bought some games from Japan for the PS2 and the PS2 is region locked so I'm in a bit of a rut. XD
I'm guessing the whole price difference may be because by the time its reached the UK, it's old news in America so they drop the price, and it's all sparkly new in the UK so they can get away with charging £40!

Quote:
Ah, yeah, the accent thing fascinates me as well! To be honest - I know I'll be hated for saying this - but I always confuse the Welsh and Irish accents XD I love the sound of both, but they sound so similiar to me. People get so het up over accents though. I know the Canadians (generalising, of course) go mad if you confuse them with Americans, I met one once and he went beserk because I asked where in America he was from. . . Accents in English are always the strangest to me. Foriegners always seem to assume that in England there's only Cockney or upper-class, Queen's English - I could go on and on, but I'll stop, I'm not going to bore you with an off-topic accent rant XD
Ahh no it's fine, I've come up with some really outrageus accent mix ups in my time.
I've mixed up the Birmingham, Londoner AND Liverpool accents with each other. Good job only my parent heard me when I said it because getting those 3 mixed is like a deadly trio.
But the Canadians can't blame us! From my perspective too they do sound nearly identical apart from a few words. XD
Yeah well I've pretty much learned to deal with foreigners not understanding where the 'UK' is, but knowing 'England' perfectly well, so I guess accents can go with that. XD