View Single Post
(#11 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-28-2010, 10:19 AM

I came to Japan on a whim, I liked anime a little.. and video games... but, I also like a plethora of things from other places, Japan was as good as any other place to me.

I applied for jobs programming in Japan cuz computer science is my degree, then I found out what the hours were and scrapped that idea.

I found out that "teaching" English in Japan is by and large a joke (I'm not talking about JET, I'm talking about English conversation schools). The people I worked with had little or no training, were generally really dumb, and sold their appearance and accent for 2000yen a lesson.

Then I left Nova, and went to a more respectable school, where the teachers were smart, knew their material, how to teach it, and cared about it.

The big English schools such as Nova, ECC, etc are like McDonalds.
Other private English schools are like fine cuisine restaurants.

Saying teaching English in Japan is a farce is entirely true if you have only experienced the McDonalds "Cooks".
If you meet the (granted fewer in numbers) fine cuisine "Chefs" of the industry you'd realize that a salty deep fried piece of potato isn't all there is to eating in Japan.

To the OP:
get a degree in anything, if you want to be good at teaching, then get a degree in teaching (shocking isn't it) or even English.
ride the ELT wave for quick cash and no prospective future
become a happy white sheep among many others who have had the same idea as you

oh also, Japan is not all it's made out to be, your childhood dream might get crushed to bits when you get here.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.

Last edited by RealJames : 12-28-2010 at 10:23 AM.