View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-28-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
This is a horrible stanza. DO NOT try to learn Japanese from it or you will end up talking like a rapper. It's terrible because it sort of gives up on grammar for the sake of rhymes with all those お-syllables.

Treat the second line almost as an independent filler with the irrelevent を for the rhyme. The first line directly connects to the third in what is considered "normal Japanese".

ただ here does not mean "but" but it means "only" or "simply".
ただ何となく過ごしてきた日々 = "the days that I've only idly been living"
ただ何となく想い寄せる気持ち = "the simply purposeless feelings (of love ) for you"
Thank you for letting me know that the 2nd line is basically just a filler
I would have been sitting here for a while wondering how on earth を could be used with that verb!

And the main things I learn from songs are just vocabulary, so luckily I don't need to worry about talking like a rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
全ていつの日にか would imply "(praying) that everything will be alright one day"

互いの道を進んでいくだけ means "you'll go your way and I'll go mine"
I knew something would be implied by 全ていつの日にか but I just couldn't figure out what, so thank you for explaining that to me.

And it looks like I need to get better at translating 互い

Well, trying to translate this song was a great exercise and challenge for me, but I think it will be a while until I try to do it with another song (Unless I deliberatly choose an easy one)
I think when translating things in the future I will have to remember to take into account more of what it is I am trying to translate.
For example even though this is a song, I didn't even consider the fact that things would be broken onto separate lines, or even that they may just be using words or grammar purely for the purpose of making it rhyme.

Thank you for taking the time to correct me and explain everything to me masaegu.
I appreciate it very much.

Thank you