View Single Post
(#32 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

01-31-2011, 03:33 AM

This whole topic makes me kind of sad. The fact that something as simple as putting a condiment on rice can turn into such a big deal.

This is the land of corn on pizza, and the like. Now, some of the elitists may say that "I just don't understand," or whatever, but I'd like to think we're all intelligent enough to look at it from an objective standpoint.

Corn and pizza are foods that have absolutely no relationship to each other (they come from different parts of the world, but if you're arguing that it's American pizza then that's just being petty), and corn is a side dish by today's standards that is a standalone food but complements meals as a filler.
Soy sauce, on the other hand, is a condiment that is meant to be poured on food/dip food in. So to treat it like it's outlandish when one puts it on the staple of the nation just blows my mind.

I think it was Steel who brought up the point about his black friend eating mustard sandwiches due to being poor. If I were a father in America and I had a son or daughter and she saw a poor person eating a mustard sandwich and requested I make her one, I wouldn't go "Now, now, sweety, that's only something poor blacks do..." as you guys make it seem is the social stigma for the Chinese as a correlation. I either tell her that there are more options for our sandwiches, or I'd let her try it and see if she liked it. If she didn't, no harm no foul. If she did, I wouldn't feed it to her every day but I wouldn't smack one out of her hands as you guys make it seem a Japanese mother would do to her child with a bottle of soy sauce, attempting to put it on rice.

And then of course the fact if it's just white rice and soy sauce, it's gruel. But if there's an egg in it, it's okay, for whatever reason. I could like see a SWAT team barging into a house and being like "Oh sh!t, there's the target! Get ready on my mark! Wait, wait! There seems to be an egg in it! It's okay! Phew, for a second there I thought it might have been the Chinese and their silly rice and soy sauce again!'

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography