View Single Post
(#35 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-31-2011, 04:13 AM

We've had this argument on here before. People seem to speak on behalf of all Japanese and say "that never happens" or "NOBODY" does that-- including Japanese themselves. However, if you ask around enough you'll find plenty of people who do it. I suspect that there are people who don't really want to admit it though. I don't think it's something many people consciously make a meal out of-- it's probably like something that happens after eating some sashimi; why trash decent sashimi/sushi soy sauce? I think that's what happens a lot of the time.

It's funny though, because it's seen as worse than squeezing a giant gloop of mayonaise in your rise. Or how about all the kechup that is used in omurice? (Which I admittedly like). I personally don't really like a lot of soy sauce on rice (even too much with sushi gets gross). However, I think furikake is also too... salty or just thick tasting. It's a waste to use it if you've got good rice (of course that's in my experience, I'm sure there are some great furikake's out there).

I think the point is that you could complement your rice with a whole lot of other things than soy sauce. Like tsukemono or something like that. That's kind of the idea I got during the last time this argument arose on here.