View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-09-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
The employer doesn't have to pay any money to get a visa for their employees.

I've sponsored a work visa myself once, it was pretty straightforward.

Technically when the terms of employment change the foreigner is meant to go to immigration to renew their status, but of course no one does that, they wait to get another job where the boss will agree to sponsor their visa.

Unless that English school paid for the plane ticket and a bunch of training it's no loss to them.

The English schools I worked at all gave me a whole day of paid training lol, not much spilled milk to cry about
There is a lot more to a business's bottom line when hiring than a day of training. People are paid to read applications, conduct interviews, arrange housing, fill out government paperwork, etc.

As a JET we were flown in on business class, put up for three days in nice hotels in Tokyo, fed for those three days, took the shinkansen to our local region, etc. There were also pre-departure orientations... probably a couple to a few thousand dollars were spent per person. We were reminded again and again to quit would cause EXTREME hardships on all the people that got us here, and leave a school without an ALT for the remainder of the year.

I realize different programs are different, but I wonder how headache inducing it was to have a bunch of teachers at NOVA who pull out upon arrival.