View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
GregX999 (Offline)
New to JF

Researching cities/areas in Japan - 02-13-2011, 03:03 PM

Hi all,

So, I'm starting to transition from "thinking about going to Japan to teach English" to "planning on going to Japan to teach English".

I'm trying to figure out what cities I should look into, but I'm having a hard time finding the information I'm looking for. There are basically two different things:

1. Practical: The pros/cons of a city when it comes to a foreigner teaching English there.

2. Personal: A) How conducive the immediate surroundings are to outdoor activities such as cycling, hiking, trail running, etc. B) How close to parks, beaches and/or other areas of nature. C) But also, still having a dense(r) urban core with many shops, restaurants, cafes, "urban things to do", etc. that would have a sizable population of people looking to learn English.

From what I know now, Tokyo wins for 1, but looses for 2. And Kyoto wins for 2, but looses for 1 (due to over-competition of English teachers). But I hardly know anything about any other cities in Japan.

Ultimately, I guess my plan would be to get a list of 3 or 4 cities to eventually visit. Does anyone know of any websites that provide any of this type of information? Or perhaps you have some experience yourself? My Google-fu is failing me in this endeavor. I have a feeling most of the info I'm looking for in number 2 is written in Japanese.

Thanks,
Greg