View Single Post
(#15 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

02-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
There is a difference between equality and special treatment. Our Universities used to accept ethnic minorities with lower grades, just because they 'needed' ethnic minorities.

As a female, I would be insulted at the fact these people would think I'd need a special interview or for them to make special allowances for me.
In America we still have "Affirmative Action," a legislature that only bases self performance to a certain point. By Affirmative action, there must be a certain minority quota (whether in race or sex) of a particular body (work or academic), pretty much regardless of actual work performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I'm sure everyone wants to get somewhere based on their own merits rather than getting somewhere because they are a girl, or because they are disabled, or because they are an ethnic minority because the company/institution 'needs diversity.'
Hopefully it's not as much like this where you're from, but unfortunately at least in America this is often not the case. I totally agree with you, but there are so many people who use their background as a crutch to get what they want, citing it as racism/sexism/discrimination if they don't.
Ironically and sadly, this ends up breeding more tension for those who feel like they're being fouled because of this.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography