View Single Post
(#263 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-08-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
ah you know with living in Japan is like with marriage. she pissses you off and there are times you want to chop her into pieces and shove into a can and send back to where she came from, but then again you love her to bits and all those small things she does and you would die of boredome without her annoying nature. First thing my wife said to me after returning from a trip was "could you do something irritating, i really missed that".

Nothing is perfect. I guess it is up to us to make it better. It's called a compromise. But there are things from which i will never back off till there is a bit of breath left in my body, and one of them is giving in to that sickening uniformity and mindless sheep syndrome in Japan. The weather is nice though
I met quite a few Japanese who were unconventional and far from mindless sheep. And as for myself, I did things my own way all the time, but I didn't confront the Japanese people about changing their ways to suit me. I did what I wanted to do, and let them do what they wanted to do, but that doesn't mean you can't also show respect for them and their culture, where you are a guest. For instance, washing before you get into an onsen, or taking off your shoes before walking into someone's house. Not things I'd usually do at home, but they affect more than myself, and they are a sign of basic courtesy, so I did it. That didn't make me a "sheep", just polite. In things that affected only myself, such as walking and eating at the same time, I did my own thing.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan