View Single Post
(#274 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-09-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I would agree with paragraph 100%. I think, (it was 2 years ago), my original target in this thread was not people like you necessarily, but the opposite: those focused on Japan without really knowing what they were getting into, or without a realistic focus. You took the lateral approach: I'll go anywhere, and take whatever is thrown at me. I was somewhere in between (or maybe both) in that I knew I wanted to go to Japan, so I majored in Japanese in college, and visited three times before I lived there for three years. Since returning to the US, I have never worked a job that wasn't related to Japan somehow, but I have never felt the desired to move back there again. I visit every year, just about, and love it when I am there, but am always happy to get home, too.
I know you weren't really talking about me, and I agree with the point of this thread... that's why I participated in it years ago, and today. I'm just pointing out that, as you say, our motivations and focuses were a bit different.

I don't know that visiting a country a few times will really prepare one for living and working there long-term. As a tourist, you are on an exciting whirlwind tour of temples, castles, and other sights, everything is exciting and new, and you might well be left with unrealistic expectations of the country. That's why I'm saying that while sometimes visiting a country first may be a good idea, to get at least some feel for the place, too much shouldn't be read into it. I think your own personality matters more... if you are adaptable, you can go to a place sight unseen and make a go of it. If you are set in your ways, I don't think trips in advance will be of much help, except perhaps in opening your eyes to some of the differences and difficulties you may face, such as ordering food, getting directions, a taste of the culture, etc. Most of them, though, won't really show up until you are working there day in and day out with Japanese colleagues, having to do your own shopping, cleaning, cooking, banking, etc.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan