View Single Post
(#276 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

03-09-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am not sure how this thread I started over two years ago got life breathed into it again, but I still think my original assertion is true. I would never recommend someone move to a foreign country without at least visiting it once. This is especially true when the one moving does not speak the native language of the host country, and the culture is as different as it is for Westerners.

And I do know people that "loved Japanese culture" before signing contracts and moving there sight unseen, and not only break their contracts and go home after a few months, but actually went more than a little crazy.
Nonsence. Visiting Japan even for a month or two will not do the trick. Got to live and work here to get it. I have never visited before I came. You just arrived and dealt with it, period.

And to the last par of your post. This is exactly what I am talking about. I am not sure why you are arguing things that I have said before. They go crazy because they are weak, or just let the reality get to them. If you do that there is a great chance it will break you and send you home.

Then, you mention people who sign a contract and move here. I bet you did it the same way, as work visa is usually issued for 1-3 years. I came over and had nothing, except my masters degree and fluent English. I did not have a company to fix my visa, find me an apartment or help in any other way. I was not working as a teacher either, like 90% of the foreigners.

If you start at the bottom, nothing can touch you.

Last edited by ryuurui : 03-09-2011 at 01:11 PM.