View Single Post
(#277 (permalink))
Old
matt2fat (Offline)
New to JF

Talking 03-09-2011, 03:59 PM

i know this thread is old but jeez..fantastic topic!

id never traveled to japan before..letalone any other country. but july last year i decided to apply for a working holiday visa and gave it a wurl (first time leaving my own country) ..iv now been living and working here for 7months! the first month was mindblowing..i couldnt stop noticing all the super huge differences between both cultures..it was novelty just to take a poo...i was in awe..then, the next four months i (with my mind already blown) couldnt stop picking out the bad things about japan..to be honest..i was unhappy and just wanted to go home!

it was at the 5month mark where i had to choose whether or not to extend my visa a further 6months..i bit the bullet and decided to stay...now at 7months i cant believe i ever thought the way i did! i dont know exacly why i had such feelings and why i feel different about japan now but i feel as if i jumped over some sort of hurdle..i still have my days but overall, im super happy to be here!

when i read this thread from the beginning for its original purpose, having the experience i have now i can so understand why this (original) thread was made!

in the end, it all boils down to what makes your boat float. if you think japan is your life calling..make a plan, make it happen, spend the money and experience it first hand..everyone feels and handles things different to others.

if you love japan only for its anime/manga and popculture..visit japan in short bursts..you will enjoy it more. when living here..it all gets old fast..i like anime very much..but since living here i never watch it. its kinda like a hobbie...if you start a career doing your hobbie, it would suck all the fun out of doing it...same with the anime/manga and jpopculture...keep that sparkly fuzzy feeling everytime you visit..its a great feeling.

all in all, when i do leave japan im gonna feel sad..sorta like breaking up with a girlfriend when you dont want to..but you have to. when i arrive back to my own country id be happy knowing that at some point im my life i called japan home. i would defently go back..to revisit old feelings and memories!