View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-11-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirota View Post
I'm going to be going to a university in Osaka coming September, and was wondering how expensive/how much money one could expect to spend on groceries in a month there. I'm not looking to eat in the western way, I realize cereal and a lot of things that are staples in Canada are just too expensive to eat in Japan. I'm trying to figure out a good budget for money, but it's difficult to know without having ever gone there.

Unlike many other people, I don't really want to work as an english teacher... but, I think I might have to get a job. Being an exchange student will be difficult, and it makes me nervous. I don't know anyone in Osaka! It will certainly be an experience of a lifetime though, and I'm looking forward to it.
I am not sure how prices are in Canada, but overall I found groceries in Japan to be a bit higher than in the US. Fruits, especially, were particularly expensive.

I would plan on eating some Western staples, and I didn't find that things like cereal (also available in Japan, but not near the selection) wasn't THAT much more expensive.

You might be able to find some extra cash tutoring.