View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

03-14-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
That's great. But like I said.. the Japanese government are more than capable of footing the bill for assistance that is NOT given by other states.

I have no problem with the New Zealand government helping out the Japanese government (which is what has happened) but I do have a problem with me as a civilian, having to foot the bill to provide temp relief for a government which is more than capable of doing it.
If you were a doctor and saw a guy dying on the street, would you just leave him there because he has medical insurance, so he should wait 10 more mins for an Ambulance do it for him and possibly die? or would you go out of your own way immediately to help him anyway?. Even if it isn't costing you anything financially?.

It doesn't matter if they have 'capability' it is about who can get their first and save lives. The more people there are with the aid effort, the more people that are available to save lives. The Japanese government is there doing the job, yes, but it is a massive area they have to cover. We're not footing the bill, we are helping them do their job. They are doing humanitarian work and working alongside them.

Let's say we buy an iPod, we just spent £250 on a device that eventually we will throw away. But if we donate say even £2 to a charity, that goes toward HUMANITARIAN work, saving lives. Which of the two was the waste of money?