View Single Post
(#248 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-25-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbtan View Post
As far as i can understand, every efforts are being put in to attempt to contain the problem so that it may not deteriorate into a more serious problem (eg: meltdown).
i am all this while thinking that the condition is still serious and volatile at least up to today.
Care to share your source of info?
Hmm.. I know i said I will stay out but just some info:

This one talks about the evacuation zone

http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=pol_30&k=2011032500798

This one talks about the nuclear safety agency ordering tepco to step up on safety measure around the plant. I would assume that they won't be so specific to say just the plant if the situation is not under control. One thing to note though, it did mention that water in one of the reactors measured to have 10000 times higher radiation than normal, but thats localized the reactors and plant. If it does blow up, then yes, it will be bad. But there does not appear to be that concern at all:

NHK WORLD English

More from NHK. 6 prefecture detected radiation in plants, but the water is still safe for consumption:

NHK WORLD English

this one talks about the restoration effort:

More engineers, workers dispatched to ailing Fukushima nuclear plant - The Mainichi Daily News

This article has something interesing : Shigenobu Nagataki, professor emeritus at Nagasaki University, who specializes in radiation medicine, said, "Because there were no other health problems after the Chernobyl accident besides thyroid gland cancer among children, it is unlikely (that the situation in Fukushima) would lead immediately to health problems. In areas where high levels of contamination were detected, measures should be considered after holding sufficient discussions with residents based on the data that is available

asahi.com

Ok, so I cannot find anyone that explicitly say that "We are all fine", but I take it as an implied thing now that nobody is screaming "On my god, a meltdown, oh my god it will blow up"

As i mention before, i do see why there is a fear, but the situation that people most fear about will only happen if there is a meltdown or if the plant blow up. In which case there does not appear to be any recent news suggesting something like that

That said, the fear of radiation is still there, but is it necessary to evacuate the country, thats a different story. I don't want to repeat figures that other have posted, but current measurement suggest that a mass scale evacuation is not required as it post negligible health risk