View Single Post
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Atredies (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
I hate english, and I'm American. Stupid lanquage keeps changeing itself, nothing ever seems to make sense.
english does not change itself every day. i agree that english is nonsense to a certain degree.

my english grandpa grew up speaking english but despite this he occasionally speaks french on the phone to me. that is my great-grandpa was a french belgian who met my english great-grandma. my great-grandpa apparently never spoke english fluently until his death though he was jealous but proud that his son, my grandpa, speaks english very well. my grandpa thus always wonders whether english is a difficult language or not.

i too have another personal experience. i went to beijing summers ago and i saw many chinese university students often complaining how english is grammatically more difficult than mandarin. i find the mandarin grammar ridiculously easy. i also see people who speak english natively are dead afraid of tones. ok enough of this. i have to admit this truth overall. chinese grammar-wise is easier than english.

so i find myself in a difficult position very recently. i start to consider english an unusually difficult language for the majority of the world population.

should we replace english with another language for the vast world communication? perhaps esperanto by ludwig zamenhof?