View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

04-25-2011, 02:18 PM

As a white male who attended university in Tokyo a few years ago, I have a couple thoughts from personal experience that don't directly address your questions but might prove helpful:

1. In a 日米交流史 class, the professor asked for a show of hands of the foreign and Japanese students in the class. "How many would date a foreigner?" Many, many Japanese girls in the class raised their hands. "How many would marry a foreigner?" Nearly every Japanese-lady hand went down. We as a class laughed really hard when that happened.

2. I joined a club and was approached by a number of girls asking if I had a girlfriend. I said I already had one (I have since married her), so those particular conversations never went any further. Whether they were wanting to date me or tease me is unknown.

3. All the foreign students in Japan who dated Japanese girls I know of are white. Granted, nearly all the foreign students I knew in Japan were white. Others were Korean and Chinese, but I imagine it's easier to keep a girlfriend in Korea or China long distance since you're much closer. Also, I suspect historical tensions make it less likely you'd enter into a short-term relationship with a Japanese girl if you're from Korea or, especially, China. (Also, as a fellow East Asian, you aren't "exotic" and therefore are probably less desirable to someone looking for a foreign boyfriend for the exoticness.) I only have one black friend who studied in Japan, and he did not have a Japanese significant other to the best of my knowledge (but he didn't have one before or after studying abroad, either).

That being said, this post belongs in the relationship board, not the language board.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 04-25-2011 at 02:21 PM.