View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
drfoto (Offline)
New to JF

Help from a Photographer in Japan - 05-09-2011, 01:30 AM

I'm a Nikon photographer in the US. I have a couple of technical questions for which I hope to find a definitive answer. Unfortunately, when posed to Nikon Technical US, the answer was, "We can only tell you what Nikon engineers recommend. We don't have the specific answers to your question." As such I'm hoping that I can find a way to enlist the aid of someone in Japan to submit my request for information to Nikon Technical Support Japan where a definitive answer might be forthcoming. The internet is filled with recommendations and anecdotal experiences that are in conflict with the guidelines in the owners manuals, so definitive answers backed by rational explanation would be invaluable.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Mark Alberhasky
Atlanta, GA USA
IMAGEMA Mark Alberhasky Photography

My questions:

"The owners manual for a Nikon DSLR indicates that the camera should be turned off prior to changing lenses or memory cards, to avoid electrical issues."

My questions are,
(a) Is the sensor charged when the camera is on, in a fashion that could attract dust when a lens is removed?
(b) What are the electrical issues that could arise when removing a lens while the camera body is powered?