View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Finding work in Japan on a spouse visa - 05-18-2011, 07:04 AM

I'm sorry for posting a new thread about this but my internet keeps on cutting out so I can't use the search properly.

I just had a couple of questions about work in Japan because I will be getting married and moving over to Japan in about 4~5 months time from now.
The original plan was to stay in the UK but after re-thinking our financial and personal situations it would be much more ideal for me to go to Japan.

Since I will be getting married I will also of course be applying for a spouse visa.
Assuming this all goes well and I get my visa and alien registration card, I then need to find a job.

Currently the only qualifications I have are 4 old GCSEs from secondary school (I only passed 4 with a grade of C or above...)
Other than that all I have is 7~8 years work experience (5 years in super markets 3 years in web development).
I am currently a web developer in England, which I have been doing for the last 3 years but unfortunately my Japanese leaves a lot to be desired.

Because of this it is only natural for me to assume that I will need to look for work teaching English.

Like I said I will be getting married in about 4~5 months time from now, so I plan to use that time to save as much money as I can to help us live until I find a job (I already have some savings and my fiancee works a part time job where she can pretty much freely choose the amount of hours she works so this shouldn't be too hard).

Because I have no qualifications and no experience in teaching English, I also plan to use that time to do a 4 week full time, Cambridge CELTA, TEFL course.

We will initially be living in Toyota, so I have looked around the internet to see what kind of jobs are available in Aichi but a lot of these jobs are in Nagoya, and on top of that say they require a bachelors degree or some kind of previous experience.

My question is, how likely is it that I would be able to find a job teaching English with only a CELTA TEFL certificate to my name?

And where should I look for jobs in Japan? (I have only tried sites like Gaijin Pot so far)

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!