View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
What I've tended to notice is that most gaijin will never be truly happy with each other. On one hand, a gaijin may be ostracized by other gaijin for not trying to fit into the culture enough, or will always try to one-up newbies. Then another gaijin will get the same crap for being too into the culture. Many gaijin will judge each other and detest each other. We have examples even on this forum about not wanting to associate with other gaijin, hating other gaijin, etc.

But then you have being a gaijin from the Japanese perspective. If you take too little interest in social customs, many Japanese will just think you're an ignorant foreigner and treat you as such. If you try too hard, they'll question why you're trying to be more Japanese than them.

It's hard to find a healthy balance of where one should fall, in my opinion.
I couldn't agree more. Another factor is that there's this girl on YouTube called Sammi,and she's a white American and she's mostly right about things[I mean she's passed level 1 of the citizenship test I think],but one thing she said,or implied,was to just make friends with the white people because the Japanese won't discuss certain things. Now I don't know about that. If I did that I wouldn't have many friends! I will make friends with non-Japanese if they are around,and of course if they're cool,but if I don't make friends with Japanese people I'll be in trouble.