View Single Post
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I actually spent a lot of time doing research on the topic as part of a project. We covered a lot of issues, mainly from perception of culture by gaijin and the reaction of Japanese. Of course things like using chopsticks weren't a big deal, but when discussing things like a foreigner wearing a yukatta during summer season or things of that nature, nearly 100 percent of the responses were always "That's pretty weird," "Why would they do that?" and things of that nature.
I know this is a real long shot, but your report isn't anywhere online is it? I'd love to read it because I'm very interested in things like that, and Japanese reactions to overly-enthusiastic (or not) foreigners is something I've never really come across yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Then again, last October I was on the bus in Kyoto when a pale blonde American got on board with a full kimono. It just looked odd to me. I wasn't judging her and I really didn't notice anyone else on the bus staring at her either. Perhaps that is a little more common in Kyoto than Tokyo....
Gah... I'd be SO embaressed to do anything like that. I mean, to do that must take a lot of guts for a foreigner to do that in public.
I really don't like to say this, but I must admit I would be a little embaressed to be on the same bus as her. Unless of course she was in it for a reason, like a wedding, workshop etc.
But generally if it was out of the blue... I'd probably shy away and not make eye contact. I guess that's just me, but I do sorta easily feel embarressed for other people. :L