View Single Post
(#16 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-19-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I don`t think that a balance is all that hard to find... At least on the Japanese side.

I am one of the group who does not go out of my way to lower my standards for friendship just because someone is not Japanese. I don`t hold it against anyone - I really don`t care all that much. I`m not going to go out of my way to be friends with someone just because of their national/racial background. I don`t have any friends who are friends because they`re Japanese, just as I don`t have any friends who are friends because they aren`t Japanese.

On the Japanese side, the situations where you are going to be treated strangely are really extremes. The person who doesn`t give a crap about Japanese culture / customs, and stomps all over them is going to get a lot of cringes... And the opposite extreme - the people who feel that they need to wear a kimono and take traditional art classes to "fit in" are going to get raised eyebrows. You can behave "normally" - you don`t need to be one extreme or the other in this department.
I actually agree with you more on the Japanese part. I've found a pretty normal balance in that respect. It's just that I do encounter more people on both ends of the spectrum, and they get the respective reaction from the Japanese people.

On the gaijin side, I think it just ultimately comes back down to the "My Japan Syndrome" we had an entire thread on before, and you've seen the kinds of responses that were elicited.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography