View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-19-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I actually spent a lot of time doing research on the topic as part of a project. We covered a lot of issues, mainly from perception of culture by gaijin and the reaction of Japanese. Of course things like using chopsticks weren't a big deal, but when discussing things like a foreigner wearing a yukatta during summer season or things of that nature, nearly 100 percent of the responses were always "That's pretty weird," "Why would they do that?" and things of that nature.
I find it difficult to believe that nearly 100% of Japanese are put off by foreigners wearing yukata during the summer (I assume at festivals and the like, and not like wearing a yukata to school, right?).

I am curious how the question was asked and who was responding.

I was a part of a group of high schoolers a few years back doing an exchange in Nara. At the going away party all the host moms of the American girls in the group had them come to the going-away party in ... you guessed i ... yukata. Everyone commented on how wonderful the looked dressed in traditional Japanese clothing. The only people that commented it looked odd were the American boys.

Any walk through the airport or around temples will show traditional Japanese gifts and garb marketed directly to English-speaking buyers. Why would they do that if they didn't want foreigners to buy the stuff?