(#19 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-20-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I find it difficult to believe that nearly 100% of Japanese are put off by foreigners wearing yukata during the summer (I assume at festivals and the like, and not like wearing a yukata to school, right?).
I am going to agree with WingsToDiscovery on this.
It is one thing to wear a yukata as a sort of cultural experience thing... And another to just wear a yukata - even if at a festival or the like. When there is a group of students wearing yukata, they`re going to be viewed as students taking part in some class of sorts. It isn`t quite the same as what would be considered "wearing" one.
For the cultural class sort of thing, you`re trying one on - not really wearing one.

Quote:
Any walk through the airport or around temples will show traditional Japanese gifts and garb marketed directly to English-speaking buyers. Why would they do that if they didn't want foreigners to buy the stuff?
Because these things are excellent souvenirs, and they sell well? I don`t think it is that people don`t want anyone foreign to put them on - just that wearing them around in public is going to get a weird reaction.

The only situations where it appears to be completely accepted for a foreigner to wear traditional clothing is a wedding (when the bride or groom). There is no "try-it-on" cultural class feel to it, and the kimono itself has a strong enough traditional aspect to it that it is simply a traditional part of the wedding. If having a traditional Shinto-style wedding, wearing anything else would be unthinkable. In pretty much every other situation it is also normal to wear other clothing. (And the overwhelming majority does so.)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.