View Single Post
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-20-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
I really don't like to say this, but I must admit I would be a little embaressed to be on the same bus as her. Unless of course she was in it for a reason, like a wedding, workshop etc.
But generally if it was out of the blue... I'd probably shy away and not make eye contact. I guess that's just me, but I do sorta easily feel embarressed for other people. :L
If she was by herself, in Kyoto, it's likely she was wearing it for a reason. My sumi-e teacher was American and she used to routinely wear kimono into Kyoto to go to tea ceremony and painting seminars, because that was pretty much the uniform. I knew others who were required to wear kimono for shamisen/koto recitals. I always find it a bit harsh when people say foreigners, by dint of being foreign, should or can never partake of traditional Japanese culture publicly- sometimes your hobbies and interests take you that way and then it seems like the only reason not to is pretty feeble. And some Japanese people really, really encourage you to wear it as well, so *shrug* what do you do?

The point is, it's hard to tell from a chance encounter sometimes and it's easy to be judgmental. Maybe, even if she hid it well, felt rather weird and uncomfortable wearing kimono in public too. I know I do, precisely BECAUSE I feel people (especially other foreigners) are probably looking at me and thinking 'What a fake! Go home!'.

Personally I feel that as long as they aren't making a loud and public spectacle of themselves, foreigners can wear traditional clothing and it doesn't bother me. I've never heard any negative comments from Japanese people either, although I've heard plenty from other foreigners. In fact, I've heard more complaints from Japanese people about foreigners dressing inappropriately in western clothes. Definitely I'll agree that there's a time and a place though, for anyone even Japanese people. In the wrong context it does look weird and I guess in those situations I'm more embarrassed by foreigners than Japanese people.

There seems more of a stigma for boys in this situation too; for girls at least there's a bit more encouragement to wear kimono/yukata.