View Single Post
(#25 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-20-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I can understand getting nearly a 100% response if your pool of respondents was "young" as you said. They don't like wearing yukata, either.
I don't know why you're trying to fight me with a subjective response like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

I wore traditional garb when I participated in a a danjiri matsuri in my town. My Japanese buddy and I then wore the same get-ups to a Halloween party in our neighborhood. The hosts were jokingly P'O'ed because our "costumes" were "too cool".

At the appropriate situations, I have never heard of hints or even rumors of Japanese thinking foreigners wearing Japanese traditional clothing as inappropriate or strange. If anything quite the opposite. I know people who would tell me exactly what thought about every other situation, so, again, I find this harder to believe with people over the age of 25 or so.
You'll always be able to say "Well, I..." but just because you had a different experience doesn't mean every JAPANESE person that was asked questions is somehow the wrong ones and you're right.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography

Last edited by WingsToDiscovery : 05-20-2011 at 03:56 PM.