View Single Post
(#27 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-20-2011, 04:49 PM

I think the references to extremes and appropriateness are applicable in these situations. I have witnessed the reactions described within social groups in the U.S. that were focused on Japanese culture. The gaijin were often consumed with being one-up over the newbies and/or those less prone to public displays of the "Japanese-ness". I also recall overhearing the snide comments muttered by the older Nisei in the back of the room. The only difference was that they were not confronting anyone openly. It happens; but it is very rare. And in these cases I would say that it is more a reflection on the individuals than the cultural backgrounds, especially in the case of the Nisei.

In the vast majority of my dealing with Nisei and Japanese visitors to the U.S., they have been extremely appreciative and encouraging of any effort a westerner makes to adopt aspects of their culture.

The only predictable exceptions I have encountered to this have been based on the situation and timing being inappropriate. When any of us (Westerners or Japanese) are dealing with over zealous otaku who seem to have trouble accepting that the world has more in it than anime, even I slip into that judgement mode. Thankfully, those situations are rare too.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.