View Single Post
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I don't know why you're trying to fight me with a subjective response like that.
I am not "trying to fight you" I am just pointing out that the near 100% of Japanese you surveyed who said foreigners look strange in traditional dress was not a wide cross-section of Japanese society. I am guessing they were all under the age of 20. I am also guessing they themselves are not huge fans of traditional Japanese dress. My response wasn't subjective, just confirming my observation.

I wonder if you asked the question like this, to a wider range of ages what you would get?

"What do you think when you see a non-Japanese wearing a yukata at a summer festival?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
You'll always be able to say "Well, I..." but just because you had a different experience doesn't mean every JAPANESE person that was asked questions is somehow the wrong ones and you're right.
I bring it up because my experience was 180 degrees different than what your research seems to show. I wouldn't harp on it if you hadn't said "nearly 100%" but because my experience is nearly 100% in the opposite direction, I feel it worth mentioning.