View Single Post
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Gahzirra (Offline)
JF Regular

05-20-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
the people who feel that they need to wear a kimono and take traditional art classes to "fit in" are going to get raised eyebrows. You can behave "normally" - you don`t need to be one extreme or the other in this department.
I find it funny that you use the term "fit in" how about being open minded or wanting to experience something other than you are use to. Guess we should all give strange looks at the Japanese that are eating In N' Out burgers wearing shorts and a T-shirt...shouldn't they be having sushi wearing traditional outfits.

I would be that guy wearing a yukata, why, because I am in Japan to experience a different culture, people, and life style. Should I avoid going to onsen's is that too extreme as well? There is a saying "when in Rome."

When in Japan I avoided areas like Roppongi or Azubu juban simply because they were a gaijin hot spots. Does this make me a weird person? I think not. I was in Japan to experience the people and the culture not to go sit at a British pub surrounded by other gaijin, just like I could be doing at home.

So people can think whatever they want of me, or feel embarrassed(as another poster stated) about my need to "fit in" but I will be enjoying myself and experiencing things I never would have.