View Single Post
(#154 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-29-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomike View Post
are you saying war ISNT a a legit way to aquire land? it is but not common anymore, Isreal is the best example of how force created their nation.
Not under international law and definitely not according to my conscience.

I understand the nature of International Relations.. but to go as far as offer my support to a country that systematically keeps a good size of it's population that is under its jurisdiction on the brink of poverty just because "that's the way it is" is unnacceptable.

You've offerred me explanations on how things are, not how things should be (which I would have thought to be the most important factor with regard to whom or what you offer your support). A common mistake amongst those that advocate a sort of "might makes right" mentality.

I mean let me ask you a question. Do you support all the unconvicted murderers and rapists that are out there in society? For you to be consistent with regard to your value system you would have to support them due to the fact that they have evaded capture.

As for Israel having been bought.... Some of the land was for sure. There was a Zionist movement that existed at the time, the goal of which was to establish the state of Israel, and their strategy was to buy land in the region and move in, but politically speaking, the land itself was a former British colony which was then turned over to the minority Jewish population after WW2 who subsequently pushed the Palestinians that did live there out (ironic considering the reason the Jews were given a homeland supposedly was because they were usually on the receiving end of such treatment). Controversial amongst Palestinians because the British enlisted Palestinians against the Germans on the promise that it would be they that received a homeland.

But all that aside, the fact is that much of the current borders of Israel today used to be Palestinian land which was taken from them by conquest and today it is largely occupied.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 05-29-2011 at 02:57 AM.