(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-30-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim2500 View Post
hi,

going to japan with my cousin and we are flying to tokyo and leaving from tokyo which is a mistake since we are exploring other cities in japan for 12 days.

i was thinking about buying a JR pass for 14 days costing £330 per person. i was wondering if this is cost effective as we will prolly be travelling 5 long distance journeys;

tokyo > hiroshima > kyoto > nagoya > tokyo.

the JR pass doesn't work for any city metro so we would need to buy a suica card aswell but the deposit can be claimed back (don't know how).

also how much money do i need for food, accomodation (hostels mainly but hotels for the weekend) and tourist stuff, excluding travelling costs?

looking at prices japan is really expensive even though i knew it was going to be but it was far expensive than i thought so i need advice about thing really, thanks!
- Yes, the JR pass will be worth it, one way trip from Toyko to kyoto will cost you about 9000 Yen and 15000 yen reserved, it will cost a lot more to Hiroshima. It will also be useful in Tokyo as it is likely that you will be traveling on different JR lines

- I suggest using Hyperdia to plan out your trip before deciding on the suica pass, you may not need it..

- Business hotels can run from anywhere between 4500 yen - 12000 yen per person per night. Depending on the city and the season, you maybe able to get yourself a 4+ star hotel for similar price (I was able to find room in Royal Park Plaza for about 13000 yen per person per night around november 2009. Food I am going to say prepare for about 4000 yen - 6000 yen per day. I typically suggest people to expect to spend about 10000 - 15000 yen a day on food and hotel. Tourist stuff, that all depends on what you want to do really. Expect to pay between 300 yen - 2500 yen for entrance (Temples, theatres, museum etc), and then another 5000 yen for souvenir if you are big into that stuff

What is your schedule like? I recommend making a stop in Yokohama and or even Osaka if your schedule permits... I did something similar in 2007, but we did it in 14 days. What we did was

day 1 Arrive > Hiroshima
day 2 Miyajima and Hiroshima, Hiroshima > Osaka
Day 3 Osaka
Day 4 Osaka
Day 5 Osaka, Osaka > Kyoto
Day 6 Kyoto
Day 7 Kyoto
Day 8 Kyoto > Nagoya
Day 9 Nagoya > Yokohama
Day 10 Yokohama
Day 11 Yokohama > Tokyo
Day 12-14 Tokyo

You can easily visit as many cities in 12 days if you are an early person... we also made a brief stop at Hakone.....