(#48 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
06-05-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atredies View Post
have you been to china? it is a country where millions of students are awed how useful english is for their future jobs, their future careers, their fortunes, their educations, their knowledge. they are so happy to say "i learn english" "i am happy that i can take english classes" in mandarin to friends. they will gladly pay 150 american dollars to take an expensive standardized test and will hope that they pass level by level. they are very used to seeing english tutoring advertisements. they want to spread words to words how english is useful to themselves.

let us look at indonesia where i had lived for 2 years. i have seen some parents to encourage their kids to learn english only because they could possibly enter british-run schools around jakarta which are 5 times better than their indonesian schools. these parents' sole purpose to invest their kids to learn english is for a quality education.

does this make sense to you? they all want to get something economical, something that generates a solid profit. those students or parents treat themselves like consumers.

do i sound crazy? am i a fool for thinking different? thinking outside of the box? i am an economic-anthropology major and i am fascinated by this massive impression through a different perspective.
That's all very fine, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't learn to use the English grammar properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atredies
english of today is not about grammar.
Grammar is part of learning ANY language. So there's part of learning English that surely IS about grammar.

everything is relative and contradictory ~