View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jollybean72 (Offline)
New to JF

foreigner married to a Japanese - 06-22-2011, 10:12 AM

Hi all, I am married to a Japanese man for 10 yrs and have 2 kids. My hubby has been working overseas for more than 18 yrs. We met in my home country and shortly after married, we had our son and 3 years later, our daughter arrived. I have never actually live in Japan as my husband's work takes us to other parts of the world. Soon we are going back to Japan for good and the thought makes me nervous. My kids speak English better than Japanese and my Japanese is not good. I have tried taking classes to improve but without living in an actual environment surrounded by Japanese speakers, I find it difficult to be fluent. I know people will naturally think that since I married a Japanese, I should have no problems speaking good Japanese. I am not a language kind of person. And my hubby speaks English to me mostly and working in other foreign countries where English is commonly spoken, my kids can't speak Japanese well. They study Japanese once a week with a tutor, writes Japanese pretty well. I can read some Japanese and speak only basic Japanese but can'y carry a conversation well. We will be putting our kids in public school in Japan, can't afford the International schools. I wish to find out if anyone who has quite similar situation as me has kids who eventually blend in with the Japanese environment and can cope in their Japanese studies? One is 8 yrs old and another is 5 now. I know people always say kids learn and adapt fast. This is a permanent move to Japan for us. For me, I tell myself I have to adapt and eventually learn to speak Japanese fluently. I am nervous knowing I will be living in Japan for long time and I hope I can adapt and my kids can adjust to life there. Any advice from anyone who have experienced living in Japan or are living in Japan currently? Thanks!