(#3 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-23-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHammerly View Post
Greetings, JapanForum!

I'm planning a trip to Japan in December and I need a little help planning my budget.

I plan on flying out of Houston, TX on November 30th, and after 2 layovers, and a disturbing amount of time spent next to people I probably won't like, I will arrive at Kansai Int. in Osaka.

I've managed to find an okay hotel for the 7 days I will be in Kyoto, and I plan on staying at a fancier hotel during the second part of my trip, which will be spent in Tokyo (another 7 days). Since I've already bought my tickets and booked my hotels, my only real question is how much spending money I should bring.

I was thinking about having a good 1,000-1,500 USD, split halfway between cash and a prepaid credit card(for emergencies, etc.). I had thought that would be more than enough considering I'm smart with my money, and I don't spend it on frivolous souvenirs. But I was told by a relative who has just recently gotten back from a two week trip to Europe, that this would not be enough, and that she blew through that amount in the first week.

So I was hoping that you all could give me a better idea of how much money I would truly need, and if you could give me any tips about traveling through Japan in general I would be more than grateful!

Many thanks,
Justin H.
So much of that depends on many things. You say you don't spend it on frivolous souvenirs. Are you into any hobbies that may have a strong base in Japan? Do you have any of those, "ooh, oooh my gahd! I just need to have THAT!" moments? If you do, you can be tempted in many ways there.

$1500 comes out roughly $100/day. Here are some other things to think about. How well do you want to delve into Japanese cuisine? If you want to sample what they has to offer, Japanese restaurants can be quite expensive, some plates or meals can wipe out half your day's monies.

The trip from Kyoto to Tokyo can be quite expensive ($100) on the slower Shinkansen, and that's just the ticket. If you want to reserve the seat, it's about $62 more. If you're not taking travel into account in your query, then please disregard.

These are just a few things to consider. If you could provide just a bit more info on what you expect out of the trip, we can answer a bit deeper.

Last edited by JohnBraden : 06-23-2011 at 07:22 PM.