View Single Post
(#26 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
That approach is like coming to America and eating at McDonalds and KFC. Yes, they are "real" American food........ but likely that is not the way one wants to spend a vacation eating.

True... a lot of Americans (unfortunately for our health care system) DO eat this way. And a lot of Japanese DO eat a lot at Yoshinoya and ramen shops.

A McDonalds as compared to a good American steak house is a good comparison for Yoshinoya to a Kyoto kaiseki place. Both ARE "American food". (Actually, no it is not... the good food in Kyoto is far better than the best American steak house I have ever been in.)

If one is OK with eating a McDonalds / KFC / Dunkin Donuts diet in the USA... then the Yoshinoya approach in Japan is certainly viable . And if money is an issue... it is clearly an option. At least the food from those places in Japan will be better tasting and generally healthier.

But you'd be missing a lot.

best,

............john
John and James, I don't disagree at all, I am just saying, there are cheap alternatives. My wife love Ramen, so it wasn't that bad, but we tried all kind of differnt food too... the killer was at an onsen resort, my uncle booked that for us as our wedding gift, Kaiseki ryori for 3 meals... then, his son (my cousin) took us out for teppanyaki..

And we had A LOT of street food...