View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-27-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I've never been there so not much knowledge about the place in terms of schools.
In terms of public schools at the elementary to junior high level - you`re not going to find much difference over the entirety of Japan. School quality at that level is pretty much standard - not really any "good" or "bad" districts. In fact, the only time I have ever heard anyone complain about their school district has been when they live at the edge of the district and the neighboring district`s school is closer than their own. Never anything about school quality. So you`re safe not to worry about that.

Steven pointed out that there are some elementary schools with uniforms, but I believe the current figure is 8 public elementary schools with uniforms in the entirety of Japan, and three of those are in Tokyo. Only about 15% have a clear dress code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollybean72 View Post
I do think that my kids will probably get both positive and negative treatments when they assimilate to the new school environment over in Japan.
These days, it really seems to me that you hear less about bullying and all that than in the past. There is a "kids will be kids" bit to it - children point out / pick on anything that is different... Whether it be as obvious as a different color of hair, or something as small as "fingernails that are too round" (real one heard at a park - the fingernails looked normal from where I was standing... And no, it`s not some cultural thing to worry about round fingernails).

The mixed race/nationality children I have seen who are chronically picked on tend to have one really big thing in common - non-Japanese parents who raise them to / tell them to act as they did or would in the other country. A parent saying "Oh, that`s stupid. We`d never do that back in (insert country name). Don`t worry about it. If anyone asks, tell them you`re not Japanese - you`re (insert nationality)." That kind of thing doesn`t win points with the other kids who do have to do it.

Quote:
I think they will eventually adapt to it, it will take time to do so. As a mother, I'll try my best to help them get used to everything in Japan.
Children are remarkably adaptable, so within weeks will likely begin to settle into the flow of things.
I think that there may be a lot more adjusting for you than for them. School in Japan tends to be much more involved with the home and family than most foreigners are accustomed to. There are handmade items required, teachers come to visit, a notebook in which you write messages back and forth to the teacher every day, etc. It is very much a cooperative effort between school and family.

Quote:
We also plan to find out as much as possible about the public schools they will be attending and will communicate with their respective class teachers about helping them to settle in the new school environment.
Public schools are really quite accommodating as long as there is true reason - as I pointed out above, "not Japanese" is not going to fly as a reason for anything other than the language based abilities. (I don`t mean that as a jab at you in any way. There are just a lot of non-Japanese parents who try to use that as an excuse to get out of anything they aren`t accustomed to... And who end up whining and complaining about it when the school doesn`t excuse their child from some project or requiring some supplies because they`re not 100% Japanese.) If you have an open mind and a supportive husband who will help you figure out things from the papers and such the school gives you - you should be able to remain positive, as will your children. If you get frustrated and complain about Japan, Japanese culture/customs/lifestyle, the school, etc in hearing range, it will negatively color their experiences.

Quote:
BTW, anybody have any ideas about living in Karuizawa, never been there actually. I guess as compared to Tokyo, it'll be less stressful? Any helpful insights? Thanks a ton!
Stress is relative, I suppose, but it will definitely be a less stressful commute!

I`ve never lived in that area, but there is a reason it is a resort area. The summer temperatures are fairly cool, there is a lot of nature, and plenty of open space. There are lots of company resorts there, and it`s a pretty popular summer retreat. It`s most definitely a retreat style resort area - the kind of area people have/would like to have a summer house.
Winter in that area can be pretty harsh - heavy snow, very cold, etc.

We are actually planning to head up there for a few days in July, so if you`d like us to check out something please let me know.

Oh, and I just remembered - The Japanese school year starts in April, so your children will be entering mid-year if your move is this summer.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.