View Single Post
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
Funnily enough, you're exactly right. At least at my school, which is about 30-35% American, I'd say pretty much everyone I know (including myself) come from either the northeast coast US (from Maryland all up through the New England states) and from the very west coast (many people from California and Washington). Both Harvard and Yale are in the New England states
There are people here and there who may be from some random middle America state, but it's hardly a mixed bag. It's not too surprising though because most of the education comes from the areas highlighted anyway.
Probably a stupid question, but what kind of school is your school? International university? English language?
I'm guessing it's because they're the most culturally mixed areas, too. California gets Japantown and most of the Anime fests and Japanese tourists and stuff, with East Coast states not far behind.
Of course, that's just my guess, it could be for any reasons.
Ahh I see. For some reason I never pictured them all the way up there. :L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I strongly agree with it and I wish England had it. It would mean that only the most educated of people are able to live in the country and that they would usually always have something interesting to offer the country they wish to reside in.

In England (and the UK in general), the number of people attending higher education in recent years has strongly increased, probably due to finances being more readily available and more advertising of University's. Since the new government took over and tripled the Uni fees for 2012, I expect there will probably be a sharp decline however in the next few years.
Yes, I do think we should follow that example. It's just too bad about the whole cheap labour thing you said about. :/

It's strange though. I agree that there are increasing numbers going to uni, but I still hear that lots and lots of people are still being turned down after an overcrowded, strenuous selection process. I'm not sure if that's because they're popular universities or not though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
A surprising number of foreigners in Japan do not have a degree, probably more than half. The majority of these are married to Japanese citizens, or working in fields in which they qualify for a visa without a degree (like chefs or cooks). And then there are others who are business owners who have incorporated in Japan and were able to get "investor" visas for themselves.

Perhaps Japan's degree requirements will motivate more students to go to college.
Can you give a source or somewhere where you saw this? I honestly haven''t seen anywhere that's given a number of people with degrees there, so it'll be interesting to read.
A surprising conclusion though. I would have thought that the amount of people there on a spousal visa would be very very low, seems as a marriage takes a lot, lot longer to achieve and more commitment in most cases.