View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
fatum (Offline)
New to JF

Let's all type in Hiragana! - 07-11-2011, 05:30 PM

I believe that I'm finally able to read and write all of the Hiragana characters. I'm going to be picking up a Kanji book soon to begin my Kanji character studying, but I want to ensure that I'm able to comprehend sentences. I've read through small amounts of text on Hiragana Times, but I want to try out conversation too.

I can recognize just a few Kanji characters, but not nearly enough to read any text intended for people with a comprehensive understanding of Japanese.

Currently I only understand 私, 猫, 犬, 日本, 日本人& 日本語, so I might use some of these characters in the text as I think it helps with reading and they look nicer than their ひらがな alternatives. I can't really read much Katakana either, I recognize the flow of symbols to make out words though.

I'll go ahead and start by typing up some simple text. While it might not all be true, I'm just going to throw in different nouns and adjectives to see if I can make a logical flow of ideas. I'll type up what I believe to be the English translation underneath. Hoping for critique so that I can improve my comprehension.

もしもし!
私のなまえTimです。
猫です。
まいにちすしをすきです。
わたしはアメリカ人ですと私のごひき猫。
日本語をちいさわかります。

Hi!
My name is Tim.
I'm a cat.
I like to eat sushi (lol not really, I've actually never tried it) everyday.
I live in the United States and I have five cats.
I understand a little bit of Japanese.

I'm sure most of the text feels unnatural. I'm hoping for tips on improving the choice of words and grammar. I defined the subject (私) only once, as I think it's redundant to define the subject more than once.

Google translator yields a laughable result:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Translator
Hello!
Identification of us is Tim.
Immediately to my likes sushi.
I also attract your cat I have is American.
Know little Japanese.
Hopefully the post isn't tl;dr. Hoping for responses too in Hiragana.

[edit 1] - I used も as "and" -- I feel that this usage is incorrect. I went ahead and replaced も with と, I believe this is the correct method to express and.

Last edited by fatum : 07-11-2011 at 06:09 PM.