View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-13-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatum View Post
That makes sense, referring to the person あなた almost sounds like you're being condescending. "Hey you there" is what I make out of it.

If this sentence logical or phrased correctly?
ば日本語がわかりますその後、大好きあります。
If you understand Japanese, then I love you.

I'm not sure if ば and その後 are in the right place. Google translator yields:
Then if you know Japanese, I love you.

as the translation.
I'm sorry to say that almost no part of that sentence is grammatically correct. First off, when using an "if," the ば form is a different conjugation of the verb. You don't just put it in the sentence as-is.

Second, 大好き goes with です, not あります.

No その後 is needed, and, even if it were, the general structure for "after X occurs" is past-tense-of-verb-in-plain-form+後で. 食べた後で = "after eating" for example

Finally, you generally won't use the polite form of a verb in the middle of a sentence. So no わかります in the middle. (Technically, you can, but you're not at the level where you need to worry about mid-sentence polite structures, which indicate a much higher level of politeness than you're intending.)

Here's a correct way of saying what you want: 日本語がわかるなら、好きです。

なら basically means "in the case of X." "If it is the case that you understand Japanese..."

There are four conditional forms: たら、ば、と、なら. They are different, but overlap sometimes. You'll learn the difference as you progress. You're not there yet.