View Single Post
(#24 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-19-2011, 05:49 PM

[quote=evanny;872153]Jbaymore. nice to meet. you. as it happens my major is also asian culture and japanese language. so don't think you have the longest cock.

LOL - That is hilarious!

I love the fights on here!

I think <this>. Oh yeah? I think <that>! Oh yeah? Well, you're an idiot. Oh yeah? Well, i have THIS degree! Oh yeah? I do THIS for a living. OH YEAH!!!!!!!!

So :strokes long goatee: this is .. what *I* think: (Speaking from American viewpoint)

I think people in America think that Japan is as foreign as the Middle East. Europe's culture doesn't *seem* THAT different from American "culture" as compared to how Japan's culture compares to America's.

Take a look at Hollywood Movies (which is where most of us Americans get our "history" from! lol) and you'll see more movies depicting Europeans lives in modern times than Japanese. What are the first images you get when you think of Japanese movies...Samurais..Geishas? What are popular movies that the average American might know...the Last Samurai? Lost in translation? Departures? Kill Bill? Red Sun? Seven Samurai? and...Robo Geisha. Even some of those are a stretch. What do most of the "popular" movies from Japan have in common...Samurais or Geishas! (Please keep in mind that I left out Japanese animation. Japanese animation probably is more well known to the typical American than live acting films i.e. pokemon, DragonballZ, Sailor Moon (a mainstream musical group "Bare Naked Ladies" even mention this animation in a song.)

Also, a lot of Americans identify with Europe because...of our heritage! A lot of people's ancestors come from some part of Europe therefore may have had previous conversations about where they are from, thought about where they are from, researched where they are from, etc.

Point: People already have an inherent "feel" for European settings as opposed to Japan.

In my opinion (and we're all going by opinions it seems in THIS thread at least,) most Americans aren't jumping at the idea to visit temples, and sacred mountain tops, and quiet, pristine rivers.

I should....get back to work.

Last edited by OHayou : 07-19-2011 at 05:54 PM.