View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
zakkusufea (Offline)
New to JF

I'm having trouble reading Hiragana! - 07-24-2011, 05:40 AM

I started 3 days ago and I have a bit of studying to do before I can memorize all 40-some characters, but I decided to try and 'decode' some picture books written in Hiragana. I'm trying to understand 'Issun-bōshi'. My translation of the title itself came out to Itsusunbaushi, strangely enough.

Anyway, I don't really know how to derive English from Hiragana without converting the Hiragana to Romaji, so the first sentence of the story went like this; "mukashi mukashi kodomoga inai ojiisanto obaasanga kamisamani onegai o(<--- subject particle) Suruto koyubikuraino otokonooga umaremashitao"

There may be some errors. But honestly, I don't know what part of what words to convert. Like with "Kodomoga" do I translate "Kodo" and "Moga" or what? How do I know which parts to seperate? Also, each word has several different meanings. I started translating that and got "A long long time ago children moth inside of grandfather door grandmother moth god".

How can I translate without converting to Romaji? Also, how do I know where one word ends and one begins? I'm sorry that I'm so nooby. Thanks guys.