(#12 (permalink))
Old
languagehacker (Offline)
JF Regular

07-26-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
Excuse me?

If you want to point out which parts of my post specifically make me sound like my native language isn't English, that would be great.

I've heard the term "dandy" used more than once in recent years, but I guess that depends on your level of education and which topics specifically you are studying. The term arose more than once in my 19th Century French History class, as well as several other European history classes as well.

Maybe you were offended by the suggestion that the word isn't as obscure and archaic as you were hoping it was, but don't try and insult my intelligence because of it. Of course the word isn't used "in daily conversation". When did I say it was? The word "Kitsch" isn't used in daily conversation either, but that doesn't mean that it isn't used at all.

Furthermore, "like a Japanese trying to sound American." Really? There are plenty of Japanese people who speak, read, and write near flawlessly and that statement sounds as if you are implying impossibility of the notion. Masaegu and Nagoyankee could write circles around you in both languages.
And I would be able to tell that they're not native speakers just by looking at what they wrote.

Watch Japanese music videos with translations on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/nextgenv...i?feature=mhee