View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-28-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
These don't seem like QUITE when I would use "add insult to injury". To simply have a bad thing happen, and then another isn't quite enough. It must be more related and more egregious.

I lost my wallet at the street yesterday, and then to add insult to injury, whoever found it stole my credit cards!

I had a severe headache and took a pain killer, and then to add insult to injury, the pain killer gave me a stomachache.

My wife left me, and then to add insult to injury, she took my pet dog with her.
Thanks. I think I got your suggestion, MMM.
My previous example sentences are not for "to add insult to injury" but for "to make the matter worse", right?

I lost my wallet in the street yesterday, and to add insult to injury, it started to rain. (wrong)
I lost my wallet in the street yesterday, and to make the matter worse, it started to rain. (correct)

The second bad-luck should be closely related to the first bad-luck, or, the second tragedy is caused by the first tragedy, when it comes to "add insult to injury".

The tsunami killed tens of thousands of people, and to add insult to injury, it destroyed the atomic power plant.
I offer my deep condolences to those who are affected by that tragedy.

Last edited by Supperman : 07-28-2011 at 02:54 AM.