View Single Post
(#177 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-29-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNL View Post
People with terrible accidents is a different case. Ofcourse it's ok for them to use plastic surgery or things like that.
But I'm talking about people who are perfectly fine and still choose to change who they are. And all that because they "are not happy" or they want to look like their idol or whatever. It's incredibly stupid. Those people will have to learn to live with their self instead of destroying their identity and dignity.

Where I draw the line is this:

Terrible accident = Ok, go ahead.
All other reasons = No, don't do it.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. The point is it's all down to what a person deems as a 'real' reason as to change the way they look . . . if I broke my nose in an accident, or if I was just born with it crooked, what is the difference? Why would one be a 'correction' and the other just be 'vanity'?

People have various reasons, and there's also various degress of 'importance'. A person scarred all over in a fire obviously has more of an understandable need than a person in my example, who merely has a crooked nose, but they both still have a need and thus a right to correct whatever imperfection they feel needs correcting.

In specific to gender disorder. People who feel they are the wrong gender often have described to me, or in interviews I've seen, the same feeling that comes from a disfigurement. They feel disfigured, ugly, that when they look in the mirror it isn't a reflection that represents who they feel they should be . . . aren't these the same feelings a person feels who has been in an accident? Isn't the feeling of low self-image the same no matter what the cause?

I don't understand how you can distinguish between the two. Why is one person more deserving? Why should someone be forced to live with themselves? Why shouldn't they change if it would genuinely help them to feel better? Why deny them the right to be happy?